I’ve had extensive training in how to teach college students and other adult learners, including teachers.
- Two three-credit university courses in online teaching: CTLE 6510: Cyber Pedagogy (2013) and WRTG 6050: Online Writing Pedagogy (2014).
- Two three-credit university courses in discipline-specific higher education teaching: COMM 6090: Teaching College Communication (2011) and WRTG 6500: Studies in Writing & Pedagogy (2014).
- Faculty Development for Online Teaching, Workshop by Ray Schroeder, University of Illinois (2015).
- Symposium on Emerging Technology Trends in Higher Education, University of Utah (2015).
- Annual Teaching Symposium, Center for Teaching & Learning Excellence, University of Utah (2014, 2015).
- Educational Game Developer Conference, Reacting to the Past Consortium, Simpson College (2014).
- Online Writing Pedagogy two-day workshop, Writing and Rhetoric Studies Department, University of Utah (2013).
I have created online, hybrid, and face-to-face courses and programs in academic, business, and community settings. With fifteen years of experience in the software development industry, I am comfortable using technology to solve pedagogical challenges. I have used the Canvas learning management system and other systems to create instructor-led, self-paced, and competency-based curricula.
- Built eight Canvas courses from idea to completion, and created supporting materials in Canvas for another twelve courses.
- Reviewed and evaluated more than 50 online/hybrid course modules built by other teachers.
- Received $5,000 curriculum development award from the University of Utah to create online proposal writing course. Created a differentiated learning curriculum that scored high on student satisfaction and learning measures.
- Proposed, created, and taught first-ever hybrid Writing 2010 general education course at the University of Utah. Course was used as a model to develop other first-year composition classes in various “alternative” formats.
- Received Community Engaged Learning (CEL) general education designation for an upper-division writing course I created.
- Helped revise course-development assignment sequence for graduate-level Cyber Pedagogy teacher training course.
- Developed two upper-division technical courses for successful submission to an accreditation body.
- Created a full-year high school career and technical education (CTE) curriculum.
- Created self-paced internal training programs for three companies.
- Wrote manuals for teambuilding, project management, and sales workshops for a leadership seminar company.
- Wrote instructor/attendee materials for a three-day health and wellness workshop.